I’ve been trying this recipe out for a long time now. I just can’t get over how delicious it is. And it is so easy to make. When you eat it, you just don’t think about the fact there actually is quinoa in there! It’s that great.
I’ve been cooking a lot with quinoa. Not only for the health benefits it has, but also because I like the taste a lot and to change it up a bit now and then. To not always eat pasta or rice. But I always seem making to much for me to eat in one sitting. So this recipe is one I usually make when I have a cup or two to spare. I mostly have the other ingredients in my pantry. So this is an easy fix for me and this way I don’t have to throw away my lovely, healthy and very nutritious quinoa.
Apple Quinoa Pancakes
- serves 20 – 24 pancakes
- 2 cups cooked and cooled quinoa (I usually use leftover)
- 1 ½ cup all purpose flour, but you can use all kind
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp freshly ground nutmeg (this gives it a lovely warm flavour)
- 4 tbsp ground flax seed
- 2 large eggs + 2 egg whites
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ¾ cup skim milk
- 4 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 Jonagold apples, diced really small
- In a bowl, whisk together the quinoa, flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and the ground flax seed. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, oil, milk and syrup. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and whisk to combine. Fold in the chopped apples until they are completely covered.
- Lightly coat a nonstick pan with oil and heat over medium to medium-low heat. Be sure not to make the pan to hot or the pancakes will burn. Drop ¼ cup of the batter onto the pan. Pat the batter down slightly to flatten. It’s quite a thick batter. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until bubbles form on the top. Flip and then cook the other for 2-3 more minutes or until it’s golden brown
- Serve with some more chopped apples, maple syrup, cinnamon or apple sauce. With anything you want basically. Enjoy hot or cold.
This is such a treat and works perfectly as breakfast or if you want to have a fun, healthy dessert. Be sure to try it out and check the original recipe right here. I found it on Pinterest and this is by the wonderful Rachel Cooks. I just love all the recipes on there and I’ll definitely try some more. Give here a visit while you’re at it.
Try this one out and let me know what you think. Don’t hesitate to post some recipes you would like to share. I want to try all of them and learn some new ones. Even though I look through the internet every day looking for new recipes, I’m sure there’s a lot more out there that I haven’t even seen or heard of yet. Let’s share the love for cooking.