I had some bananas left over, that were already so far gone, that I couldn’t freeze them anymore without turning it into some sort of paste. So I decided to bake with them. I found this recipe on Pinterest and I’ve been dying to try it out. So this was my chance.
I didn’t have any blueberries in the house though, so I decided to change it up a little bit and I uses some cherries I had left over. And it turned out great. It gives it a little sweeter taste, and while I was a bit afraid of the combination of the cherries with the cinnamon, it did turn out great and goes rather well together. Let’s get to the recipe.
Healthy Cherry Banana Bread
- serves 1 loaf
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup coconut sugar, packed
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1 heaping cup of chopped cherries
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Butter and flour a loaf pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine your dry ingredients (the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon).
- In a large bowl, beat together the sugar, oil, apple sauce, eggs and vanilla until just blended. Stir in the mashed bananas and the chopped cherries until well combined and the cherries are coated in the wet mixture.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan, place in the oven and bake until a cake tester (inserted in the middle of the loaf) comes out clean. This takes, depending on your oven, about 45 min. to 1 hour. Keep an eye on it towards the end, so you can pull it out on time.
- Let it cool for around 15 minutes in the loaf, before removing it and transferring it onto a wire rack to let it cool completely.
- Cut of a slice and enjoy.
And let me tell you, this is amazing. The whole wheat flour makes it super healthy and filling. You can definitely taste the bananas and the cinnamon, but they all complement each other. The cherries give a fruitier and fresher taste. I got about 12 slices out of it and topped it with a bit of jam and some extra fresh cherries for breakfast.
This also works perfectly as a healthy snack you can take with you. I took some with me to work and it instantly vanished. Even my co-workers loved it and I already gave them the recipe to try it out at home. I can’t wait to see what they make of it.
Try this one out and let me know what you think. Don’t hesitate to post some recipes you would like to share. I want to try all of them and learn some new ones. Even though I look through the internet every day looking for new recipes, I’m sure there’s a lot more out there that I haven’t even seen or heard of yet. Let’s share the love for cooking.