One of my friends came over last week and she asked me to make my wellknown apple cake for her. She wanted to learn how to make it, because she had this little happening at her home in a few weeks and she wanted to serve it to her guests. As I am myself also in love with this cake, I happily obliged.
If you know the recipe for the ‘quatre-quart’ then you’ll immediately recognize it, as it is just the same but only with apples added to it. There is only one thing that is different in my recipe and this is something that you won’t find in all the recipes for a quatre-quart. I separate my egg whites from my egg yolks. By beating the whites separately and adding it at the end, it gives the cake more air and gives it a lighter taste.
- serves 12 slices
- 4 eggs (weigh them, it will be around 240 g)
- 240 g self raising flour
- 240 g caster sugar
- 240 g butter
- 3-4 big apples
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- First weigh the eggs and take as much of the other ingredients as the weight of the 4 eggs.
- Melt the butter and let it cool down.
- First separate the egg yolks from the egg whites. Take your electronic hand mixer. Beat the sugar with the egg yolks until the mixture is light and fluffy and turned colour. You’re looking for a lighter colour.
- Add the flour in the egg mixture, bit by bit, beating the mixture the entire time.
- Add the butter to the mixture and beat until incorporated.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks. To see if they have the right consistency, turn the bowl over. If the egg whites stay in place, they are perfect peaks and you can start to incorporate it gently into the wet mixture.
- Add the egg whites in the mixture, one spoonful at a time, and fold it in gently with a spatula.
- Repeat this until all the egg whites are just combined. Don’t over mix it.
- Pour it into a buttered cake form and put it into the oven for about 30-45 min. The time will depend on your oven, so do keep an eye on it, especially towards the end. The cake should be golden brown.
- To know if your cake is cooked completely, insert a skewer of knife in the middle of the cake. It has to come out clean.
- Let it cool for about 15 minutes in the cake loaf, before transferring it onto a wire rack to let it cool completely.
- And then enjoy.
The cake is just amazing. It’s thick. It’s fluffy. The apples give it a sweeter taste and an extra level of taste to this cake. I could keep on eating this, but I wouldn’t advise it. It’s much better to enjoy one or two slices a day, so you can enjoy it for much longer.
Needless to say that my friend was over the moon with this and as the recipe is so easy to make, I’m sure she’ll give it a try. I already told her to send me a picture once she made it.
Try this one out and let me know what you think. Don’t hesitate to post some recipes you would like to share. I want to try all of them and learn some new ones. Even though I look through the internet every day looking for new recipes, I’m sure there’s a lot more out there that I haven’t even seen or heard of yet. Let’s share the love for cooking.